Tried & True: Ginger Snaps

>> Tuesday, July 10, 2012

So my husband gave me the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook last year for Mother's Day. I'm not terribly fond of changing things that work, so I haven't used many recipes from it to this point. However, last week I decided to shake things up a bit and see if I liked any of the recipes in this cookbook better than some of my "tried and true" recipes.

The first on my list is a family favorite ... Ginger Snaps. A delicious molasses, spicy, chewy cookie that we have enjoyed for years. The America's Test Kitchen recipe is titled "Molasses Spice Cookies". The recipes are close, but there are slight differences. You can be the judge!!

Now that I've tried them, I think I will create a combination recipe of our favorite aspects of each recipe. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Molasses Spice Cookies
Oven: 375 degrees

1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup light or dark molasses

Put 1/2 cup of the sugar in a shallow dish for coating.

Whisk the flour, baking soda and spices in a large bowl and set aside.

Beat the butter, brown sugar, and remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar together in a large bowl using an electric mixer, until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk and vanilla until combined. Beat in the molasses until incorporated.

Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly mix in the flour mixture until combined. Give the dough a final stir with a rubber spatula to make sure it is combined.

Using wet hands, roll 2 Tablespoons of dough at a time into balls, then roll in the sugar to coat. (Cool tip: wetting your hands in water when rolling the dough into balls will prevent the dough from sticking to your hands.)

Bake the cookies until edges are set and the tops are cracked but the centers are still soft and slightly underdone ... 10-12 minutes. (I found 12 minutes was too long ... 11 minutes was just right).

Let the cookies cook on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.

YIELD: 2-3 dozen


0 comments:

FOLLOWERS

  © Free Blogger Templates Digi-digi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP