Broccoli Cauliflower Salad

>> Saturday, June 18, 2011

Picnic season is in full swing and this salad is a family favorite. Though it takes a bit of time to cut up all the vegetables, the effort is well worth the end result. A satisfying crunch wrapped in a wonderful sweet and sour sauce with just a touch of smokiness from the bacon (how can you go wrong with bacon?) makes a perfect side dish for any BBQ or potluck picnic.


1 large bunch broccoli - separate into bite-size florets
1 large head cauliflower - cut into bite-size pieces
8-10 bacon strips - fry crispy, then cool and crumble
1/4 lb sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
Small bunch chives, snipped
Optional ingredients - sunflower seeds, raisins, chopped tomatoes, 2 hard boiled eggs peeled and sliced.

Combine all ingredients in a large salad bowl. Set aside.

Dressing:
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons white wine or cider vinegar
1 cup mayonnaise

Whisk together dressing ingredients and pour over salad. Toss until well coated and refrigerate.

I'm off to start cutting broccoli in preparation for this afternoon's picnic. Enjoy!!

6 comments:

Kathy's Kitchen Korner June 18, 2011 at 7:03 AM  

This was always a great seller when I worked in the deli at the market! Reminds me that maybe I should make this salad soon! Thanks!!!

Susan June 18, 2011 at 11:14 AM  

Chopped apples and craisins are great add-ins too! This is actually one salad that almost tastes better the next day, when all the flavors have had time to meld together!

Huskerbabe June 18, 2011 at 12:49 PM  

My mom used to make this alot. Craisins sound good.
Judy, have you tried my broccoli slaw recipe?

Judy W June 18, 2011 at 6:16 PM  

I don't know that I have tried your broccoli slaw recipe. It sounds good!!

Paulla June 23, 2011 at 10:13 AM  

Hi Judy - this sounds yummy. I've made it with onions rather than chives, and never with cauliflower, but that sounds good!

Oh, and...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :)

Sheila DelCharco October 31, 2011 at 5:46 AM  

I love a good broccoli salad recipe! I'm gonna have to try this one! Thanks for sharing Judy!

FOLLOWERS

  © Free Blogger Templates Digi-digi by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP